Posts for tag: nail pain
With lots of summer plans ahead this season, the last thing you want to be self-conscious of or endure pain from, is your toenails. Unfortunately, the warm weather that summer brings can increase your chances for developing an ingrown toenail due to being exposed to possible difficulties. Participating in summer sports, wearing improperly fitted shoes, and not keeping up with your toenail hygiene are easy things to forget with a busy schedule. But suffering from a painful toenail due to these factors can quickly ruin your summer fun.
Chiropodist Brian Cragg is trained to treat your ingrown toenails with various treatment options available at our office. If you’ve been experiencing pain from a toenail edge cut into your skin, Brian can provide the right treatment so you don’t have to be afraid to show off your toes or suffer from pain any longer.
Treatment for ingrown toenails can include:
- Oral antibiotic therapy. Antibiotics can be prescribed if an infection, due to an ingrown toenail, is present.
- In-office minor surgical procedure. A simple procedure can be performed under local anesthetic. The corner of the affected nail is removed, or in some cases, the entire nail plate.
- In-office surgical correction. In a case of a chronic ingrown toenail, a procedure under anesthesia is required to permanently remove the part of the affected toenail. The wound requires several weeks of recovery. After healing, the nail returns to normal with the appearance of being somewhat narrower than before.
To prevent an ingrown toenail from developing and affecting your summer activity, follow these two simple tips:
- Always wear a proper fitting shoe. Shoes that are too tight can leave your toenails susceptible to pain and deformity. Make sure your shoes correctly fit the shape and size of your feet, and make sure to throw out any pairs that are worn or torn.
- Trim your toenails regularly. It’s important to make trimming your toenails a regular routine. Make sure to trim them straight across so they don’t have a chance for curving down into the skin on the side of your toe.
Let us help you ensure your toenails are healthy and ready for your summer plans! Contact our office to set up an appointment with Brian today.
Protect Your Child's Feet from Ingrown Toenails