Posts for tag: foot doctor
With lots of summer plans ahead this season, the last thing you want to be self-conscious of or endure pain from, is your toenails. Unfortunately, the warm weather that summer brings can increase your chances for developing an ingrown toenail due to being exposed to possible difficulties. Participating in summer sports, wearing improperly fitted shoes, and not keeping up with your toenail hygiene are easy things to forget with a busy schedule. But suffering from a painful toenail due to these factors can quickly ruin your summer fun.
Chiropodist Brian Cragg is trained to treat your ingrown toenails with various treatment options available at our office. If you’ve been experiencing pain from a toenail edge cut into your skin, Brian can provide the right treatment so you don’t have to be afraid to show off your toes or suffer from pain any longer.
Treatment for ingrown toenails can include:
- Oral antibiotic therapy. Antibiotics can be prescribed if an infection, due to an ingrown toenail, is present.
- In-office minor surgical procedure. A simple procedure can be performed under local anesthetic. The corner of the affected nail is removed, or in some cases, the entire nail plate.
- In-office surgical correction. In a case of a chronic ingrown toenail, a procedure under anesthesia is required to permanently remove the part of the affected toenail. The wound requires several weeks of recovery. After healing, the nail returns to normal with the appearance of being somewhat narrower than before.
To prevent an ingrown toenail from developing and affecting your summer activity, follow these two simple tips:
- Always wear a proper fitting shoe. Shoes that are too tight can leave your toenails susceptible to pain and deformity. Make sure your shoes correctly fit the shape and size of your feet, and make sure to throw out any pairs that are worn or torn.
- Trim your toenails regularly. It’s important to make trimming your toenails a regular routine. Make sure to trim them straight across so they don’t have a chance for curving down into the skin on the side of your toe.
Let us help you ensure your toenails are healthy and ready for your summer plans! Contact our office to set up an appointment with Brian today.
Protect Your Child's Feet from Ingrown Toenails
Your feet carry your body weight throughout your life. Did you know that feet put on more than 100,000 miles in the average lifetime? Although your feet are very important, they often are the most neglected parts of the body. With the amount of stress and strain you put on your feet on a daily basis, it’s important that you give the right care and attention your feet rightfully deserve!
May is Foot Awareness Month and Brian Cragg is offering the best foot care tips you can incorporate into your daily regimen, which will leave your feet healthy and happy.
- Inspect your feet regularly. Pay attention to your feet so you can detect any abnormal changes that might be a warning sign for a foot complication. If you notice any skin color changes, cracks or cuts, or discolored nails, seek your chiropodist’s medical help to ensure your feet receive the correct form of treatment.
- Wash your feet regularly. To prevent bacterial or fungal infection, wash your feet thoroughly, especially in between your toes and dry them completely.
- Trim your toenails. In order to prevent ingrown toenails from developing, maintain your toenail health by trimming them straight across and by not keeping them too short.
- Wear shoes that fit. An improper shoe fit can cause multiple foot problems such as blisters, calluses, hammertoes, and even plantar fasciitis. Make sure your shoes fit your foot shape and provide enough cushion and support to avoid painful foot conditions.
- Get your feet moving. Staying active is a great way to achieve physical fitness and maintain foot health! The Starbucks Run for Women race is Saturday, May 12 and is a great way to get moving while running for a great cause! For more details, visit www.runningroom.com
- Visit your chiropodist for foot pain. It’s important not to ignore foot pain that has continually been causing you discomfort. Chiropodists are expertly trained to provide the right treatment needed for your foot condition with the goal of keeping your feet healthy and fit. Contact our office to set up an appointment with Brain Cragg today!
By making these foot care tips a daily habit then you can achieve foot health all year long! If you have any further questions or are experiencing foot pain, please contact our office at Markham Foot Care Clinic to set up an appointment.